Rainbow Vegan Burgers with Salsa Relish
This vegan burgers recipe is packed with vegetables (surprisingly!) and hence, packed with nutrients. Replacing a traditional bread bun are 8 large field mushrooms – a great wheat and gluten-free alternative to compliment these burgers. If you find that mushrooms don’t agree with you however, you can always house your veggie patties in a regular bun. We always advise being aware of any food intolerances or allergies so it’s best to get yourself checked if you’re unsure.
- 1 beetroot, coarsely grated
- 1 courgette, coarsely grated
- 1 sweet potato, coarsely grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 3 carrots, coarsely grated
- 3 chopped fresh tomatoes or 200g of tinned chopped tomatoes (with a little extra)
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 3 tbsp gluten-free oats
- 400g tin of cooked chickpeas
- 8 large field mushrooms, wiped and peeled
- Black pepper
- Handful chopped fresh coriander
- Juice of a lemon
- Slices of red onion
- Some lettuce – sweet gem works well
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (gas mark 4). Use a food-processor or hand-grater to coarsely grate the sweet potato, carrots, courgette and beetroot and put into a large bowl along with the shallots and garlic.
- Put the oats and pumpkin seeds into your hand-blender jug and blitz them until they’re a fine texture. Add to the grated vegetables and then add the herbs, salt, black pepper, and mix well.
- Add the chickpeas, lemon juice and olive oil into the hand-blender jug and blitz. You may need to add a little water to help start it off. Add the thick paste to the bowl of vegetables/oats and mix thoroughly.
- Next, use your hands to make balls with the mixture and flatten them into a burger shape, make at least 4 burgers. Place them onto a large, lightly oiled baking tray.
- Put the burgers in the oven for 20 minutes. Then take them out and flip the burgers. Add the mushrooms to the baking tray before cooking for a further 20 minutes (or until the burgers look crisp and the mushrooms are a golden brown).
- Mix the tomatoes, fresh coriander, green chilli, and some salt together to make a salsa relish.
- Serve the burgers in the mushroom ‘buns’ with sliced tomatoes, red onion, lettuce leaves and a dollop of salsa relish to taste.