How to take a sampleFor blood spot testing
Blood Spot Tests. How to take a sample.
5 steps to using the blood sample kits for our allergy and intolerance tests:
- Before you start your test, please ensure that all of the necessary equipment is ready to use. This is because the longer you take to do your test, the less likely you will get the right amount of blood.
- Drink plenty of water before you complete your test. Being well-hydrated allows your blood to flow onto the spot card easier.
- Please do not attempt to complete your test if you have participated in any strenuous activity or exercise beforehand. Only light exercise like Jumping Jacks are recommended.
- Having a hot shower before you complete your test may help you collect the required blood sample.
- It is recommended that you complete your test in a warm room.
Allergy Test’s Sample Collection Kit
Our blood testing kits are screening tests for possible allergies and/or intolerances. They are used to accurately identify specific antibodies in human capillary blood. Our convenient, pain-free blood collection process is designed to be easily completed at home.
- Before you complete your test, please read these instructions before you begin.
- Do not take your blood sample immediately after completing strenuous exercise.
- If you have any difficulties taking your blood sample, please contact our Customer Service department. They always treat matters confidentially.
- This is a blood sample kit for self-testing. Please ensure that you fill all of the circles on your blood spot collection card.
- Please store this kit out of reach of infants.
- This kit is for people aged over 5-years old. Anyone under 16 years old taking the test should be supervised by an adult.
- If you are pregnant or are breastfeeding, please consult your doctor before using this kit.
- If you suffer from a congenital or acquired blood-clotting disorder, or you are taking anticoagulant medication, please consult your doctor before you use this kit.
- The lancets that are included in the box are exclusively for your own use.
Do not use this kit if you suffer from a blood-borne contagious illness such as hepatitis or HIV.
If you have any questions, please send us an email at [email protected].
What is in your test kit?
- 1x alcohol wipe
- 1x band-aid
- 1x absorbent pad
- 1x five-spot blood card
- 2x lancets CE 0344 (pin-prick system)
- 1x return envelope
- 1x activation card with an adhesive label
Allergy Test Sample Kit Instructions
- Once you have received your blood spot test kit in the mail, please open up the box to access all the equipment.
- Open the blood spot card. Fold the paper back to reveal the collection paper. Please try not to touch the sample area.
- Hold your hand under warm water for at least one minute to stimulate blood circulation, then carefully dry your hand with a towel.
- To get the best results, stand up and swing your arm around in a circular motion 5-10 times. Extend your arm as fully as possible as this helps to stimulate blood circulation. Continue standing until you have finished taking your sample, if possible.
- Remove the provided disinfectant cloth from the film and use it to disinfect the entire rip of your index or middle finger. Then wait approximately 15 seconds for your finger to dry.
- Hold the lancet horizontally. If you have a yellow lancet, rotate the protective tip one full turn then carefully remove it. If you have a blue lancet, simply push it against your finger to activate. NOTE: Do not use a lancet with a loose or protective cover that is missing before use.
- Place your hand on a stable and flat surface. Hold the lancet diagonally against the tip of your finger which you have chosen. Press firmly with your thumb on the button, it can only be fired once. .
- Keep your hand horizontal at hip height (while standing at the edge of a table) and from there, massage your finger from the palm of the hand to the fingertip until blood droplets form.
- Hold the base of the collection card to prevent it from moving. Allow the blood to drip onto each of the circles till each one is filled entirely. Try not to touch the sample area.
- Once all of the circles are filled, slightly bend the collection card away from the cover and allow air to flow beneath the blood spot collection card. Leave on a flat surface to dry. Allow 5-10 minutes for your sample to dry.
- Once you have collected your blood sample, press the swab firmly against the location of the bleeding to stem the blood flow.
- When the bleeding begins to slow down, apply the band-aid from your kit to the puncture.
- Once the sample is dry, fold the cover over the sample and tuck in the bottom flap.
- Fill in your submission form with your name and email. Ensure your order information (AT-xxxxxx) is included.
- Place your completed, dried blood spot collection card into the enclosed return envelope with your filled-out blood submission card. Then close the envelope carefully and immediately mail it back to our lab.
- You will receive an email to let you know when your sample has been received.
- You are now ready to identify your allergies and/or intolerances.